Monday, September 7, 2009

Meet "Cliff"

My husband and I try to take time for ourselves and just "get away" each week. We enjoy it.  Last week he took me to Marakopa. What a treat! I have really come to enjoy seeing the many waterfalls New Zealand has around here. Marakopa Falls is my favorite so far!
We packed a lunch and ate on a paddock, then it was off to hunt fossils on the beach. :)
I, of course was determined to find "something", and I did, however it wasnt exactly a fossil. What I found was a skeleton of a sheep that had fallen off the mountain onto the beach, meeting his fate with the incoming tide. Poor thing!
Will and I had gone separate ways in our desperate hunt to find something unique... a fossil. 
I heard Will calling my name, "SarahVi, come quick I found something!" 
I hurried to the front of the car and  here comes Will, carrying a baby lamb! "What IS that?" I asked him, knowing good and well what he had in his arms.
"His name is Cliff, I just named him. He fell off the cliff and I found him on the beach." He said halfway laughing. 
Of course the lamb was injured.
Those of you who know my husband well, know of his love for animals. He does NOT like them at all. ((ha))! 
Here was my sweet Will carrying a lamb asking "me" what we should do with it?!?! 
This was my lucky day, I kept thinking to myself. A PET! 
So.... we made room in the back of our car for him. It was an hour drive back to Otorohanga from Marakopa-- but Cliff made it without a peep. 
He stayed nice and sound in our laundry room that night until the next day when his evaluation came. Not good! 
Although Cliff was not able to heal from his injury (he had to be put down). We saved him from a devastating death of drowning-- he lived one more day! YAY for Cliff. 
We laugh when we think about how we went on a date and came back with a baby lamb. Only in New Zealand!! :) 

Surely, its the little things like this that make the best memories! We had Cliff for less than 24 hours, but the experience we had in bringing him home was priceless and will last a lifetime! HA- Good times indeed!