Sunday, September 6, 2009

Putting it on the Map

This is a world view map. To put things into perspective of our locale, in case you didn't know exactly where New Zealand was in comparison to the USA of Florida. Locate the USA on the (L). Find New Zealand on the far (R)-- its the VERY small squiggle line.
I am constantly finding new ways and things I am being challenged in. I love it.
When I first arrived here, in the first few weeks, I was stunned and amazing, excited at the same time how people were curious about *MY* country. They wanted me to "put in on the map" for them. And of course, with some thats exactly what we did-- we pulled out the big map and laying it on the floor, allowing them to "find" where Florida was in relation to New Zealand.  Never did I imagine I would be showing anyone where *I* came from, sharing my culture, etc. 
I had a great night at Youth Alpha last night. I love being around the youth and helping my sweet husband in his ministry-- one that I am called to as well. We make such a great team together! 
In my small group time with my youth (all such sweet girls) I shared my heart how much they (the youth) have impacted me since my arrival here-- and how God has worked through them as well. I was teaching them to be open to God speaking to them (directly and indirectly). 
Driving two of the girls home, I was reminded of the story of Jonah. Most of us know it well from childhood. Jonah loved God and wanted to please him, however he did not want to go where God called him to go. 
Before coming to New Zealand I was much like Jonah. I was scared of what lay ahead of me--I was getting married. I was excited. I wanted to go and join my husband in his ministry, I knew it would be great, however I was scared (I was moving literally across the world, not just to another state). How long will I be over there? What will it be like? Will the people like me? Will I fit in? I didn't exactly run like Jonah did, but in the same manner I had a heart like Jonah. 
God knew what he was doing. 
I am so glad that I can look back and see the wonderfulness of God's great design and how much he knows how things will work when we cannot see the BIG picture through the fog of Satan's distractions. 
Everything has fallen into place from the beginning. The people here are wonderful. I have been able to experience things that I never would have before (in the states)-- see natural wonders only on this side of the world, view constellations only seen on this side of the sky, get lost in the beauty of the countryside and enjoy the slower pace of everyday living! 
Being away from friends and family is the hardest part of living in another country. The best part is serving God in a ministry together with my husband! 

My husband is amazing-- :)